Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball
Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball is the best dessert cheese ball recipe to serve with graham crackers and cookies. It’s like eating chocolate chip cookie dough dip without the baking!
Here we are, a few days before Christmas and the New Year.
Are you ready? Is your menu all planned out or do you usually scramble at the last minute?
My family practically has the same menu each year, so no scrambling for us.
If you are scrambling, check out my Christmas Dinner For Two for ideas.
I also like to think the holidays kick off the season for get togethers and parties, which means you need some good party food (and almost always includes cheese).
I’ve also made Chocolate Cheese Ball.
Now it’s time for another dessert cheese ball with this Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball recipe.
This chocolate chip cheeseball comes from my childhood with one small change. Normally it’s a cream cheese ball made with powdered sugar, making it white.
I took it a step further and added brown sugar, making it a brown Cookie Dough Cheese Ball. So really it’s like you’re eating chocolate chip cookie dough dip.
Serve it with graham crackers and small batch chocolate chip cookies.
Ingredients For Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball
To make your chocolate chip cheeseball, gather the following ingredients:
- Cream cheese: Make sure you’re using a block of full-fat cream cheese. Using low fat, fat free, or whipped will change the texture and may even leave your cheeseball a little watery.
- Butter: Helps balance the tanginess of the cream cheese. Do not use margarine.
- Powdered sugar: Helps sweeten and thicken your cheese ball
- Brown sugar: Gives it a chocolate chip cookie taste
- Salt: Enhances the flavor but can omit if using salted butter.
- Vanilla: Also enhances the flavor
- Chocolate chips:Can use semisweet or dark chocolate chips.
How To Make A Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball
Making a homemade cheese ball is easy!
Beat together the cream cheese, butter, both sugars, vanilla, and salt. Stir in half of your chocolate chips then form a ball. After it has chilled, roll it in more chocolate chips. That’s it!
How long does chocolate chip cheeseball last?
Your chocolate chip cream cheese ball can be refrigerated for up to 1 week ahead of time.
Can you freeze a chocolate chip cheese ball?
Yes, you can freeze your chocolate chip cheeseball! Although I recommend freezing it before rolling it in chocolate chips.
Wrap your dessert cheese ball tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil before freezing for up to 1 month. If you’re worried about it getting squished, put it in a plastic container.
When ready to eat, thaw in the fridge overnight before rolling in chocolate chips and serving.
What To Serve With Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball
Because a dessert cheese ball is much sweeter than a savory one, serve it with cinnamon graham crackers, chocolate graham crackers, and chocolate chip cookies.
If you’re feeling really ambitious, you can even make homemade graham crackers from Culinary Hill.
More Chocolate Chip Recipes
Love chocolate chips? Check out these other recipes using chocolate chips:
- 8 ounces (1 block or 8 tablespoons) full-fat cream cheese, softened (do not use low fat, fat free, or whipped)
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces or 8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl (using paddle attachment if using stand mixer), beat together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt. Scrape down the bowl then stir in 1 cup chocolate chips.
- Transfer the mixture onto plastic wrap and form the mixture into a ball. Refrigerate at least 4 hours to firm up.
- In a small shallow bowl or plate, add the remaining 1 cup chocolate chips. Unwrap the cheese ball and roll into the chocolate chips until completely covered. Serve with graham crackers or cookies.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month..