Jalapeno Popper Cheese Ball Bites
Turn the flavors of jalapeno poppers into Jalapeno Popper Cheese Ball! They’re mini cheese ball bites with bacon you can serve as an appetizer for entertaining.
It’s not often that I entertain people at my place. Usually it’s because someone else is hosting.
Being the good invitee that I am, I rarely show up empty-handed. Sometimes it’s planned that everyone brings food. Other times I just want to make something to share.
Although I’m usually the dessert queen, there are times I bring something savory. Most of the time it’s buffalo chicken dip, but that recipe is so popular, everybody else brings it too.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that (and there are never, ever any leftovers no matter how much you bring), but sometimes you just want to add a little more variety to the table.
When I think of holiday appetizers, I think of jalapeno poppers.
And although I don’t like to eat actual stuffed jalapenos since the whole peppers are usually too spicy, I do love to take jalapeno, bacon, and cheese and make Jalapeno Popper Dip and Jalapeno Corn Chowder.
The idea for Jalapeno Popper Cheese Ball happened when I started thinking of cheesy appetizer recipes.
My family loves to eat Bacon Cheese Ball on crackers and thought, why not do a jalapeno popper version?
It’s almost like an inside out jalapeno popper if you think about it. Instead of the peppers holding the cheese, the cheese holds the peppers.
I thought about doing a one large spicy cheese ball, but when you have one hand holding a plate full of food, it’s a little clunky to grab a knife and spread it onto crackers.
Cheese ball bites make it much easier to serve. Not only are they portioned out into cracker-sized bites, you aren’t holding up the line fighting with the spreader.
And nobody likes to wait in line for food while you are fighting with the spreader.
Ingredients For Jalapeno Popper Cheese Ball
To make jalapeno cheese balls, gather the following ingredients:
- Cheddar cheese: Can use mild or sharp
- Cream cheese: Use a block of full-fat cream cheese. Using low fat, fat free, or whipped will change the texture and may even leave your cheeseball a little watery.
- Onion and garlic powders: Adds flavor to your cheese ball without having to chop onion and garlic.
- Salt: Although bacon and cheese are salty, you still want a tiny bit of salt to help bring out the flavors even more.
- Jalapeno: If you’re not a fan of in-your-face spiciness, leave out the seeds. Otherwise add them at your own risk.
- Bacon: Precook your bacon before adding it by making either microwave bacon or oven bacon.
How To Make Cheese Ball Bites
To make your jalapeno popper cheese ball, first beat together half of your cheddar cheese, cream cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, jalapeno, and bacon.
Using a #60 small cookie scoop or by hand, roll the mixture into 1-inch balls.
Roll them in the remaining cheese then refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
How To Serve Cheese Ball Bites
The best way to serve mini cheese ball bites is with crackers. Put one ball on top of a cracker and squish it down.
Serve them on their own or add them to your charcuterie board for two.
Or just pop them into your mouth, one by one. They are quite addicting so if you don’t have enough willpower while making them, you may need to double the recipe. Just in case.
How long does jalapeno popper cheeseball last?
Your spicy cheese ball can be refrigerated for up to 1 week ahead of time.
Can you freeze cheese ball bites?
Yes, you can freeze your jalapeno popper cheese ball! Although I recommend freezing them before rolling it in cheese.
Place your jalapeno cheese balls on a tray or plate then freeze until firm, about 1 hour. That way they don’t stick to each other in the bag.
Transfer them to a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 1 month.
When ready to eat, thaw in the fridge overnight before rolling in cheese and serving.
More Cheese Ball Recipes
Enjoyed this spicy cheese ball? Here are my cheesy recipes for you to make:
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces (1/2 block or 4 tablespoons) full-fat cream cheese, softened (do not use low fat, fat free, or whipped)
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small jalapeno, minced (seeds and membrane optional for heat)
- 1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- In a large mixing bowl (using paddle attachment if using stand mixer), beat together 1 cup cheddar cheese, cream cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Scrape down the bowl then add jalapeno and bacon.
- Using a #60 small cookie scoop or by hand, roll the mixture into 1-inch balls.
- In a small bowl or plate, add the remaining 1 cup cheese. Roll each ball into the cheese, covering as much as you can. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.