Homemade Pita Chips
Homemade Pita Chips tossed with olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt then baked in the oven or air fried is an easy snack anybody can make! Ideal for dipping in hummus.
I may not be able to win the lottery, but I sure do know how to win food.
One summer I won a half bushel of peaches from a local farm.
Another summer I won 30 pounds of potatoes from a food conference I attended.
Then a weekend later I won a year supply of hummus from another food retreat.
Luckily, the hummus rep also works with a pita company and offered to send me “a little bit of pita” to pair with the hummus.
Then two GIANT boxes arrived on my porch, packed full of large pita bread, mini pita bread, pita bread pockets, tortilla wraps, and bagels.
I shared with family and friends then froze the rest. Shortly afterwards, the hummus arrived.
Now I needed chips to dip but instead of buying a bag, I decided to make my own Homemade Pita Chips.
After all, I had lots of pita ready to go.
All you have to do is cut up pita bread, toss in some olive oil and salt, then bake. Sometimes I’ll even cook them in the air fryer when short on time.
Voila! Easy pita chips for snacking.
Ingredients For Homemade Pita Chips
To make pita chips from scratch, you only need three ingredients:
- Pita bread: If you’re using pita pockets, cut the pita bread in half so it’s a single layer of pita.
- Olive oil: Use a high-quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Salt: Preferably sea salt or kosher salt. Table salt will work in a pinch but coarse salt is best.
An optional fourth ingredient is seasoning. You can use different spices like garlic powder, onion powder, even fajita seasoning.
How To Make Homemade Pita Chips
To bake homemade pita chips in the oven, first preheat your oven to 350F.
While your oven is heating up, cut your pita bread into small wedges then toss in a bowl with olive oil and salt.
Spread into a single layer on baking sheet. Bake until crispy, roughly 10-15 minutes. Let cool before serving with dip.
How To Make Pita Chips In Air Fryer
After mixing your pita with salt and oil, add to an air fryer basket. Cook at 400F for 5-8 minutes
How To Store Homemade Pita Chips
Although homemade pita chips are crispy after baking, I will warn you:
Unless you’re going to be eating the pita chips right away, I highly suggest storing them in an airtight container as soon as they finish cooling.
If left sitting out too long, they get stale quicker. I recommend baking the day of or the night before you want to use them.
What To Eat With Pita Chips
Looking for a dip for pita chips? Or perhaps you want to eat them alongside a sandwich? Here are recipes to serve with pita chips:
- 1 large pita bread (roughly 8-10 inches in diameter), cut into 2 inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sea salt or kosher salt, for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Have a baking sheet ready.
- In a large bowl, toss together the pita chips and olive oil. Spread into a single layer onto the baking sheet then liberally sprinkle with salt. Toss again on the baking sheet.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until crispy. Cool completely then serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
To Air Fry Pita Chips:
- Toss together the pita, oil, and salt. Add to an air fryer basket then cook at 400F for 5-8 minutes.