Bundt Cake Glaze
This Bundt Cake Glaze is a velvety vanilla glaze designed to pour over homemade cakes for a visually appealing yet tasty dessert. Makes 1/2 cup glaze to decorate small cakes.
Although I love baking cakes, sometimes I don’t feel like dealing with frosting.
It’s not that making small batch buttercream is difficult or anything.
Just you have to let the butter sit at room temperature (30-45 minutes), beat everything together (3-5 minutes), then carefully frost my cake twice (once with a crumb coating then again with a full frosting layer).
Not to mention I’m not the world’s best cake decorator.
That’s where this Bundt Cake Glaze comes in handy. Not only does this vanilla glaze only require 4 basic ingredients you likely have in your kitchen right now, it takes no more than 5 minutes to make.
No need to wait for the butter to soften as you melt it in the microwave.
You can even customize your powdered sugar glaze with other flavorings such as lemon zest, almond extract, or maple syrup.
I paired my Bundt Cake Glaze with my small chocolate bundt cake, although you can certainly use it for other desserts such as coffee cake, breads, pound cake, and more.
Because making a regular batch would be too much, I opted to make small batch icing instead. After all, this IS small batch baking blog.
Ingredients For Bundt Cake Glaze
To make your vanilla glaze for bundt cakes, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Melted butter: Not only does butter add flavor, it helps make a velvety texture.
- Powdered sugar: Helps thicken and sweeten the glaze
- Milk: Helps thin out the icing so you can pour it
- Vanilla: It’s not a vanilla glaze without vanilla!
If you’re looking for a chocolate glaze for bundt cakes, check out my easy ganache recipe.
How To Make Glaze For A Bundt Cake
Making your icing for bundt cakes is SO easy! All you need is a bowl and a whisk:
- Whisk together melted butter, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla.
- Adjust milk or sugar until it reaches a pourable consistency.
What consistency should bundt cake glaze be?
Your glaze is ready when it has the consistency of corn syrup.
This means when you take a spoonful and drizzle it back into the bowl, it should leave a ribbon trail for a few seconds before blending back into the glaze.
If it’s too thick, add a little more milk. If it’s too thin, add a little more powdered sugar.
How To Glaze A Bundt Cake
Since pouring your powdered sugar glaze can get a bit messy, I place my cake on top of a cooling rack over a cookie sheet.
This allows the icing to drip down without your cake sitting in a pool of it. You can even line your baking sheet with parchment paper or foil for easy clean up.
With a spoon or small vessel with a spout, pour your glaze evenly, letting it drip down the curves.
If you’re decorating with sprinkles or nuts, immediately add while the glaze is still wet so they stick.
Let your cake sit at room temperature for about 2 hours for the glaze to harden. Or refrigerate to speed up this process.
Cake Recipes For Vanilla Glaze
Now that your glaze for bundt cakes is ready, you’ll need a bundt cake!
I created my powdered sugar glaze with 6 inch bundt cakes in mind. That means you can take any one of my 6 inch cake recipes and bake it in a 6 inch bundt cake pan.
Once cooled, drizzle your icing on top!
Can you use this bundt cake glaze on other desserts?
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (add pinch of salt if unsalted)
- 1-2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, butter, 1 tablespoon milk, and vanilla.
- Slowly whisk in the remaining 1 tablespoon milk or until a pourable consistency. You may not need all of the milk. If the glaze is too thin, add more sugar.
To test for consistency, take a spoonful of glaze and drizzle it back into the bowl. It should leave a ribbon trail for a few seconds before blending back into the glaze.
- Pour over cooled cake as desired. Let harden at room temperature for 2 hours or in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Use this glaze to decorate Small Chocolate Bundt Cake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.