Who doesn’t love a good grilled ham and cheese sandwich? Now you can turn it into a one pot meal for a quick and easy weeknight dinner thanks to this Ham And Cheese Soup For Two recipe. Great way to use up leftover ham from Easter and Christmas!
Ever have one of those days where you fall behind and can’t seem to catch up?
That was me last week. It was a bad week as a whole, one of those I’m-going-back-to-bed weeks because I couldn’t do anything right.
It all started with two separate recipe fails in one day. I managed to squeeze in one more attempt of the first recipe, which finally turned out how I wanted.
Unfortunately, that meant I was falling behind schedule and had yet to clean up before work was over for the day.
By the time I cleaned up, it was already 6 PM and I still had to make dinner (for reference, I usually start prepping dinner around 4-4:30 PM). No frozen pizza in the freezer.
Part of me wanted to order take out, but did I really want to spend $8-$10 on dinner that day? What can I make that’ll not only result in minimal dishes but also be ready soon?
Enter my trusty one pot soup formula. I have this big Dutch oven that I use a lot, especially when the weather gets cooler.
I can make almost anything a soup as all you need to do is make a roux (flour paste), slowly whisk in broth, then add your main ingredients.
Voila – soup in under an hour!
Today’s soup adventure is Ham and Cheese Soup For Two. Everyone loves a good grilled ham and cheese sandwich; why not turn it into a soup?
Perfect for when you need an easy weeknight dinner idea after a long busy day.
I’m excited because soup weather is almost here!
It’s been rainy lately, especially one day last week when the skies opened up and it poured so hard, you could barely see outside. There were flash flood warnings and roads closed.
That’s when I know to stay home and curl up with a bowl of soup on the couch.
To make prepping this ham and cheese soup for two easier, I used fully cooked cubed ham. All you need to do is open the package and add to the soup.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cubed precooked ham
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- Salt, to taste (preferably kosher salt)
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, carrot, and a big pinch of salt. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour until everything is coated and a roux (paste) is formed. Slowly stir in the broth then bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the ham. Cook until heated through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the milk and cheese until melted. Taste for seasoning and add salt as necessary. Garnish with parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
More Ham Recipes
Hawaiian Pizza Pasta
Ham and Herb Quiche
Baked Potato Soup (can use ham instead of bacon)
Creamy Onion Bacon Soup (can use ham instead of bacon)