Spicy and creamy chicken salad sandwiches made healthier with Greek yogurt and green peppers.
What’s your favorite kind of sandwich? When I’m ordering out, I like to order chicken salad, not the actual salad but the creamy sandwich kind. And I must say all chicken salad sandwiches are not created equal because I’ve had my fair share of pretty good and pretty bad. So what makes my Buffalo Chicken Salad Sandwich recipe a good one? First, it’s a twist on everyone’s favorite hot wings. Then I substituted Greek yogurt for mayonnaise, added green pepper for crunch, and threw in garlic paste for extra oomph. Serve that all in a whole wheat pita pocket, and eating just got healthier.
I made this sandwich for a recipe contest that Gourmet Garden hosted for all of the Big Summer Potluck attendees because they were one of the sponsors for the event. I usually try not to gush, but their products changed the way I cook. Have you ever bought fresh herbs but ended up throwing half of them away because they wilted? Guilty. Gourmet Garden solves that problem by offering herb and spice pastes in a tube. You squeeze out the amount you want and done. No chopping, no wilting. I even made pesto with the basil paste without dragging out the food processor! Just whisk it with some olive oil and parmesan cheese for a quick sauce. For my chicken salad, I used the garlic paste so you don’t have that strong bite from eating raw garlic. Unfortunately, I didn’t win, but that’s ok – I still made a very spectacular sandwich.
For the chicken, I prefer freshly cooked chicken; however, I also made it with canned chicken. It’s a great way to enjoy chicken salad while staying budget friendly. To maximize the healthy part, use low-fat or fat free ranch dressing and whole wheat bread. I used whole wheat sandwich pockets to serve mine.
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Gourmet Garden garlic paste
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded into pieces
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- Enough bread for 4 sandwiches (I used whole wheat pockets)
- In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, ranch, hot sauce (to taste), and garlic paste. Add the chicken and bell pepper. Serve with lettuce on bread of choice.
If you liked these Buffalo Chicken Salad Sandwiches, you may also enjoy these recipes:
From other bloggers:
- Healthier Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Buffalo Chicken Bites from The Redhead Baker
- Buffalo Chicken Biscuit Poppers from Snappy Gourmet