Happy Halloween! Make these fun Candy-Stuffed Rice Crispy Treat Pumpkins and use your favorite candy as the surprise in the middle.
Happy Halloween! Ok not quite, but today #SundaySupper is celebrating with tricks and treats. I am not a spooks person. I don’t like goriness. I don’t like the fright of a masked man chasing me with a chain saw. I don’t like vampires (especially sparkly ones) and even though I grew up in western PA, I don’t like zombies either. I know, I’m such a party pooper. Believe it or not, I do still love Halloween. I love black and orange, pumpkins, and black cats. I love peanut butter pumpkins and Cadbury scream eggs. I have a giant ceramic Halloween cupcake and a cupcake shirt. Oh and I kinda like witches. So for your Halloween treat today, I decided to lean towards the cute and creative factor with these Candy-Stuffed Rice Crispy Treat Pumpkins. It’s everyone’s favorite rice crispy treat in the shape of a pumpkin with a sweet treat in the middle.
I first saw this recipe in the newspaper with all of the coupons. My dad likes to give them to me when he is done reading his Sunday paper. I loved the idea of putting candy in the middle, It’s not just a pumpkin. It’s a candy surprise pumpkin! I chose pumpkin spice kisses to go along with the pumpkin theme, but you can use anything “fun-sized” – peanut butter cups, 3 Musketeers, Snickers, Milky Way, anything small. This treat is perfect for using up leftover Halloween candy. Pumpkins don’t stop with Halloween. They are very common in November as well. And if you are out of candy, the rice crispy treats themselves are still good too.
There are no fancy flavors in these pumpkins. Just your typical butter, marshmallows, and rice crispy cereal with some food coloring and buttercream. I thought about adding pumpkin spice, but I had pumpkin spice kisses in the middle already.
The original recipe called for green gumdrops. One – I forgot to buy some. Two – I hate gumdrops, so I wouldn’t really eat them anyway. I just threw some mini marshmallows into green buttercream until they were mostly covered. You can also dip them in chocolate for a brown stem or find another green candy (M&M perhaps?) If you have no candy at all, you can probably pipe some kind of stem. Speaking of piping, I have no clue how to pipe vines on a pumpkin. I had the bag full and moments away from piping when it hit me – how *do* you decorate a pumpkin? I hope a few squiggles and some lines did the trick.
I think these Candy-Stuffed Rice Crispy Treat Pumpkins would make great party favors. Hand them out in festive treat bags and watch the kids go crazy (or at least crazy from the sugar rush).
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups mini marshmallows + 8 mini marshmallows set aside
- Orange food coloring
- 3 cups rice crispy cereal
- 8 pieces mini candy, unwrapped
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons or 2 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Green food coloring
- In a large pot, melt the butter. Add 2 cups marshmallows and stir until melted. Stir in a few drops of orange food coloring until bright orange. Remove from the heat and stir in the cereal until everything is well-combined.
- Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup, scoop out the cereal mixture and shape it into a ball around one piece of candy to form a ball. Repeat with remaining cereal, being careful you don't burn your hands.
- Fold the mini marshmallows into the buttercream (see below for recipe) to coat for pumpkin stems. Attach to the top of each pumpkin. Place the rest of the buttercream into a piping bag and pipe vines onto each pumpkin.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the powdered sugar and butter until creamy, 2-3 minutes. Beat on high another 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and food coloring.
Source: Adapted from Kellogg’s
More Halloween Recipes For You To Make
Halloween Candy Corn Chocolate Popcorn
Halloween Recipes From Sunday Supper
- Shrunken Heads in Cider - Girlichef
- Candy Corn Martini - The Messy Baker Blog
- Trick-or-Treat Wine Pairings for Halloween - ENOFYLZ
- Steak Bites with Bloody Mary Dipping Sauce - I Run for Wine
- Eggs in Purgatory - My Catholic Kitchen
- Mini Jack-o’-Lantern Sloppy Joe Pies - Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Baked Mummy Cheese Dogs - In the Kitchen with KP
- Meat Head - Ruffles & Truffles
- Goblin Eggs - Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Mummy Hot Dogs - Damn Delicious
- Spooky Kid Pizzas - Sustainable Dad
- Pumpkin Chili, Pumpkin Dip, & Wicken Witch’s Brew - Daddy Knows Less
- Monster Mash - Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Sloppy Worm Sandwiches - La Cocina de Leslie
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Biscoff Cream - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Spooky Ogre Eye Cookies - The Realistic Nutritionist
- Jack O’ Lantern Cookies - Magnolia Days
- Spooky Good Popcorn Snack Mix - The Weekend Gourment
- White Chocolate & Coconut Dipped Strawberry Ghosts - Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Monster Bites - Cravings of a Lunatic
- Vegan Halloween Sugar Cookies - Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Monster Cookies - Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Tunnel of Doom Cake - That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Candy-Stuffed Rice Crispy Treat Pumpkins - Chocolate Moosey
- Crispy Graham Bones - The Meltaways
- Dulce de Leche Bat Cookies - Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Witch’s Fingers - Noshing with The Nolands
- Sweet Intestines with Broken Glass - The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Graveyard Brownies - The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Boo Candy Corn & Chocolate Chip Cookies - Hip Foodie Mom
- Bleeding Devil Cakes - Momma’s Meals
- Pumpkin Halloween Munch - Big Bear’s Wife
- Halloween Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Cake Pops - Juanita’s Cocina
- Jack-O-Lantern Carrot Cake - Galactosemia in PDX
- Ghostly Chocolate Orange Tarts - Happy Baking Days
- Messy Monster Cookies - MarocMama
- Bewitchingly Delicious Butterscotch Broomstick Cake Pops - Mama.Mommy.Mom.
- Halloween Popcorn Cake - Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Witches Morning Gruel - In the Kitchen with Audrey
- White Chocolate & Dulce de Leche Ghosts - Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Peanut Butter Candy Bar Cookies - The Cookie A Day Challenge
- Monster Cookie Revel Bars - Baker Street
- Halloween Cereal Bars - Basic N Delicious
- Ossi di Morti (Bones of the Dead Cookies) - Webicurean
- Pumpkin Pie Pinwheels - Midlife Road Trip