I love my friends, but they sure can be picky eaters. One isn’t a fan of chocolate. One doesn’t like coconut, nuts, or peppermint. One coworker is allergic to coconut. Another is allergic to pineapple. Then of course you got the ones on Weight Watchers, so they rarely eat anything I make. Then there’s Jen from Juanita’s Cocina, who I have bonded with quite well over the past year, so we exchanged Christmas cookies. The problem is she doesn’t like chocolate, peanut butter, or ginger. Um, hello? It’s Christmas cookie season! How can you make Christmas cookies without those three ingredients?! I knew she has a love affair with lemon, so I baked her these Lemon Snowball Cookies. Think melt-in-your-mouth lemon shortbread cookies coated with powdered sugar.
If you thought I lived in the middle of nowhere, it took my cookies one week (!) to arrive in Texas. One week. Seven days. Those poor, neglected cookies. I was so worried that they would arrive stale. Then one day I get this message that she wanted the recipe. Now. Then she asked what the crunchy part was. Then five minutes later, she bought lemon chocolate chips to recreate them.
Yes, I said lemon chocolate chips. As I was browsing the one country market, I found lemon chocolate chips. I had no clue what I was going to do with them, but who sees lemon chocolate chips every day? The original recipe called for crushed lemon drops, but I used the chips instead. When the cookies are fresh from the oven, they are soft and melted. When they cool, however, they become crunchy.
These Lemon Snowball Cookies are named for being round and tossed in powdered sugar. They are a burst of lemon flavor with a bit of crunch. If you can’t find lemon chocolate chips, substitute crushed lemon drop candies. Here is a link to buy the chips online.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup lemon chocolate chips (or crushed lemon drop candy)
- Additional powdered sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, lemon zest, and lemon extract until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Gradually add in flour and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips or crushed candy.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets. Bake 8-9 minutes or until set but not brown. Place some powdered sugar in a small bowl. Immediately remove the cookies from the sheets and roll in the sugar (careful you don’t burn yourself). Cool completely on a cooling rack.
Source: Adapted from Gold Medal Flour Easy Holiday Gifts
Liked the Lemon Snowball Cookies? Here are a few more lemon recipes you may like:
- Lemon Bar Cookie Cups from Barbara Bakes
- Lemon Meringue Cookies from Joy The Baker
- Lemon Brulee Cookies from Delicieux