Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Add some brightness to your cookie tray with soft Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies! Recipe makes 1 dozen cookies with a punch of lemon and white chocolate.
I’m back with the second cookie recipe in my cookie tray series – Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies!
When I talked about how to make the best cookie tray, I mentioned including a variety of flavors because not everyone loves the same thing. Including chocolate.
Why lemon? Not only is lemon one of my favorite non-chocolate flavors, it brightens up the cookie tray from the traditional holiday flavors. It also offers an option for those who can’t eat peanut butter.
Ok so technically there’s white chocolate chips, but by definition white chocolate isn’t considered chocolate; it’s actually the lack of chocolate.
Regardless, I find most non-chocoholics do enjoy white chocolate chip cookies.
These citrus cookies have a soft texture with a punch of lemon and white chocolate. I wanted to make a cookie bursting with lemon flavor but without buying lemon extract because not everyone has it in their pantry.
I set out on a mission – to find out if it’s possible to make a lemony cookie using only lemon zest and lemon juice. I’m happy to report the proof is right here on the plate.
My first attempt I added only lemon zest because I wasn’t sure how lemon juice would react. Barely any lemon flavor, so I added the juice and adjusted the dry ingredients to compensate for the extra liquid.
As you can imagine, with all of the cookie baking I’m going through a lot of ingredient; I think I went through almost a whole dozen eggs! I tested these lemon cookies at least three times (not to mention testing the rest of the recipes on my cookie tray).
The best part about lemon white chocolate chip cookies? They are a cookie you can enjoy all year round. Whether it’s Christmas season, a coworker’s birthday, or a random Tuesday in April, lemon is a flavor you can enjoy 365 days a year.
Looking for traditional? Check out my Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies and Chocolate Chip Snowball Cookies.
Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces or 4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 Eggland's Best large egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In another large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, brown sugar, and lemon zest until light and creamy, 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in the egg until smooth then beat in the lemon juice and vanilla (dough will look curdled).
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture then add the chocolate chips.
- Cover and refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour or until firm enough to scoop.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a #40 cookie scoop or by hand, roll the dough into 1 1/2-inch balls then place on the baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and puffed. Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack. Cool completely before serving.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchase.
Love the idea of lemon and white chocolate! Beautiful recipe Carla