Vegan Strawberry Curd made with only four ingredients is the perfect alternative to jam in the morning.
Did you know you can make curd with almost any fruit? It’s not just for lemons anymore. Meet Strawberry Curd. The name curd sounds funny, but this sweet concoction is no joke. What is curd? It is a fruit spread, like jam but without the jamminess. Think smooth, thick, and creamy. You use it like jam – on toast, on English muffins, as a filling, on top of ice cream, layer it in a parfait, with a spoon. The question is – what can’t you do with curd? Ok you can’t make dinner, but that’s beside the point.
Interesting fact – this curd is also vegan, meaning there are no eggs like your traditional curd. Fresh berries, little bit of sugar, some lemon juice, little bit of cornstarch. How can something so simple taste so good? I have never bought jarred curd before, and I don’t think I ever will.
The original recipe called for lime juice, but because I’m a huge lemon girl, I opted for lemon instead. As for the sugar, it really depends on how sweet your berries are. The sweeter the berry, the less sugar you use. It is all about tasting (which since it’s vegan, you don’t have to worry about raw egg).
It doesn’t take long to make either. You throw everything in a blender then cook it on the stovetop for a few minutes or until it thickens. It takes longer to cool than to make. I promise your patience will pay off!
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2-4 tablespoons sugar (depends on how sweet your strawberries are)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- In a blender, puree the strawberries and sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and cornstarch to form a smooth paste. Add to the blender and puree again until fully combined.
- Strain the mixture into a medium saucepan and discard the seeds. Cook over medium heat until the mixture starts to boil. Stir frequently and cook a few more minutes or until it thickens, roughly 5 minutes. Transfer to a heatproof container. Let cool to room temperature then store in the refrigerator.
Source: Adapted from Baking Bites
Want more? Here are strawberry recipes you may be interested in:
Vegan Peach Curd