Buffalo Chicken Meatball Subs
I think buffalo chicken is one of those trends that will never die. I remember the first time I tried buffalo chicken dip. I was hooked. Soon I made mac and cheese and quesadillas. Of course there is your traditional buffalo chicken wings and buffalo chicken salad. I think if you can add hot sauce to chicken, it will be done. Now I’m making Buffalo Chicken Meatball Subs with Garlic Blue Cheese Sauce. It’s another easy weeknight dinner that can be ready in 30 minutes.
These buffalo chicken meatballs are easy to whip up. Just mix a few things with ground chicken, shape, bake, and eat! The first time I made these baked meatballs, I forgot the egg and used ranch dressing, making the mixture very creamy. Although they baked just fine, they spread a bit and had flat bottoms for meatballs. The second time I made them, I remembered the egg and used dry ranch seasoning mix. Much better! The mixture is still a bit on the wet side, but you can guarantee they won’t be dry after baking!
Instead of marinara sauce for traditional meatball subs, I topped mine with garlic blue cheese sauce. If you are not a fan of blue cheese, feel free to use ranch dressing instead. For those of you who don’t know what buffalo chicken is, the idea originated in Buffalo, NY where chicken wings were tossed in hot sauce. There is no actual buffalo involved.
Buffalo Chicken Meatball Subs with Garlic Blue Cheese Sauce
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
A quick weeknight dinner of buffalo chicken meatball subs topped with garlic blue cheese sauce
- 1/2 pound ground chicken, thawed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons dry ranch mix
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 4 hoagie buns, toasted if desired
Garlic Blue Cheese Sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking tray with foil or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, breadcrumbs, ranch mix, onion, garlic, hot sauce and egg until well mixed. Roll into 12 meatballs and place on the tray. Bake 20 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
- While the meatballs are baking, make the sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook until the garlic starts to brown.
- Whisk in the flour until a paste forms. Slowly whisk in the milk until everything is smooth
- Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes or until thickened. Add the blue cheese and salt then whisk until melted. Taste and adjust for cheese and salt. Remove from the heat.
- Depending on the size of the sandwich rolls, add about 3 or 4 meatballs per sandwich. Top with blue cheese sauce.
If you enjoyed these Buffalo Chicken Meatball Subs with Garlic Blue Cheese Sauce, you may also enjoy these recipes:
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchase.
LOL! Hate when I forget ingredients…it’s starting to happen a lot with my baby brain. This sounds so good!
Seriously loving the garlic blue cheese sauce. I could drown a few things with it.
These sound so awesome! Need to try. Love that garlic blue cheese sauce too.
Holy yum, Carla!!! This sub is insane. And buffalo chicken will NEVER go out of style. Not so long as there are bars and tailgating and sports-watching! :D
This looks incredible, but I would definitely make it with a garlic ranch sauce instead.
OMG, are you kidding me? I feel like I need to make these for lunch and dinner. Super-love!
I am hooked Carla. wished I could take it out of the screen and eat it all in one go. The blue cheese sauce is even giving me goose bumps, that good it sounds!
Great Recipe! Perfect make ahead for a busy week.
It was the buffalo chicken dip that got my hooked on all things buffalo too! These look delicious – my kids go nuts for meatball anything so I know they’ll love them.
Sounds amazing. I love all thinks Buffalo. Thanks for sharing it.
Flat bottoms are just no good. Glad round 2 worked well–my son would scarf these up, so I’ll send him the link. Then he can fix them for us over the summer!
Pingback: 30 Buffalo Chicken Recipes
I made these for the first time yesterday. WOW!! They are absolutely delicious!! My wife was really love it…Thank you for sharing a great recipe!!