What do you usually bring on a picnic? I’m almost always in charge of dessert. Cupcakes, cookies, brownies, usually dessert that can hold up without refrigeration or needing two hands to serve. After all, you don’t grab dessert until your plate is already piled of hot dogs, macaroni salad, potato salad, and other picnic classics (I’m not very good at balancing my plate). These Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat Truffles are the perfect size to squeeze dessert onto your plate for today’s #SundaySupper picnic.
I’m pretty much obsessed with rice crispy treats. It was only natural for me to make them into little bites. I strongly believe you can’t have a picnic without something chocolate and peanut butter; however, if you are worried about peanut allergies, they are still addictive without the peanut butter.
Since tomorrow is Memorial Day in the US, I decorated with patriotic sprinkles. You can dress up these truffles for any occasion – red and green for Christmas, blue or pink for a baby shower, rainbow for a birthday party, or your favorite color just because. You can even decorate with chopped peanuts or simply leave them plain.
Of course the one downfall to these peanut butter truffles is the chocolate may melt if left out in the sun too long. Keep them in the shade, in a cooler, or keep them in the refrigerator right before serving to ensure minimal melting.
Oh I almost forgot to mention these are no bake truffles, so no need to turn on the oven when it’s a million degrees outside. There is some heat from the stovetop, but it’s only long enough to melt the marshmallows then later to melt the chocolate. And they can be made ahead of time so you aren’t stressed on picnic day.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounce bag of regular-sized marshmallows (roughly 40 marshmallows)
- 6 cups rice crispy cereal
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 16 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the marshmallows and stir until melted and smooth. Add 1/2 cup peanut butter and stir until smooth. Turn off the heat and add the cereal. Mix until everything is coated. Roll the cereal into 1-inch balls and place on parchment paper (be very careful - the cereal mixture may be hot). Let cool completely.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil then turn down to simmer. Add chocolate and remaining 1 cup peanut butter to a heat-proof bowl. Place the bowl over the water, being careful not to let the bottom of the bowl touch the water. Stir until the chocolate and peanut butter is melted and smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Using a fork and a spoon, take one treat and roll it into the chocolate until completely covered. Pick it up with the fork, let the excess chocolate drip off, then place it on parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining treats (if the chocolate starts to harden, you may need to reheat it). Decorate with sprinkles then cool until the chocolate hardens.
If you liked these Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat Truffles, you may also like these recipes:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream Rice Crispy Treats
- Chocolate Chip Cut Out Cookies
- Red, White, and Blue Firecracker Cupcakes
If you need more picnic ideas, check out what the rest of #SundaySupper is bringing:
Salads and Slaws:
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad from Juanita’s Cocina
- Caprese Spinach Salad from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken Chopped Salad from Table for Seven
- Cold Pea Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Creamy Potato Salad with Roasted Pears, Cilantro and Romano Cheese from Gourmet Drizzles
- German Potato Salad from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Hawaiian Cole Slaw from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Chopped Salad from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Kale Pasta Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mizeria (Polish Cucumber Salad) from From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- PA Dutch Pepper Cabbage from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pineapple Slaw from I Run For Wine
- Spaghetti Salad from Country Girl in the Village
- Tortellini Pasta Salad from Supper for a Steal
Sandwiches and Mains:
- Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich from Momma’s Meals
- Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese, and Tomato Sandwich from Magnolia Days
- Grilled Bratwurst and Onion Open-Face Sandwiches from The Urban Mrs
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Green Goddess Sauce from Foxes Love Lemons
- Herbs-Garlic and Parmesan Croissants from Basic N Delicious
- Indian Spiced Chicken Drumsticks from Soni’s Food
- Japanese Picnic Bento Box from The Ninja Baker
- Mini Chicken Salad, Avocado and Cheese Subs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Moroccan Fried Chicken from MarocMama
- Pepper, Spinach and Goat’s Cheese Quiche from Happy Baking Days
- Picnic Basket Buttermilk Fried Chicken from Noshing with the Nolands
- Salmon in a Jar from Healthy. Delicious.
- Smoked Trout Deviled Eggs from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spam Musubi fromKimchi Mom
- Apricot Oat Nut Bars from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treat Pops from In The Kitchen With KP
- Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fruit Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fruit Salad with Honey Port Drizzle from Family Foodie
- Loaded Butterscotch Bars from Vintage Kitchen
- Nathan’s Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat Truffles from Chocolate Moosey
- Shandy Popsicles With Raspberries from Ruffles & Truffles
- Texas Sheet Cake with Pecan Frosting from Food Lust People Love
- Triple Chocolate Punch Bowl Cake from Neighborfood
- Fresh Limeade with Chia Seeds from girlichef
- Pineapple Sangria from Growing Up Gabel
- Strawberry Basil Lemonade from The Messy Baker Blog
- Strawberry Lemonade from Gotta Get Baked
- Top 10 Wines for Picnic #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine blog
- Watermelon Agua Fresca from Daily Dish Recipes
Check back on Sunday for all the recipes! You can join in the chat on Twitter too: we’ll tweet throughout the day and share all of our picnic recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. To join in, just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets. You can also check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.