Chocolate Cherry M&M Thumbprint Cookies
It wouldn’t be a holiday until I create a recipe with seasonal candy, like these Chocolate Cherry M&M Thumbprint Cookies. As much as I love M&M cookies, I was getting tired of the typical recipes where you simply stir M&Ms into the batter and call it a night. Nothing wrong with that, but I wanted something new. I can think of a thousand recipes with Hershey’s Kisses and Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, but M&Ms? Finally, I thought of doing thumbprints with Valentine’s Day Cherry M&Ms – chocolate thumbprint cookies rolled in chopped cherry M&Ms then topped with vanilla icing and a whole M&M.
I consider thumbprints fun cookies because you can change the color of what you roll them in and the icing to match any season. Instead of rolling the dough in nuts or sprinkles, I chopped up cherry M&Ms I found for Valentine’s Day. If the M&Ms don’t stick when rolling, flatten the cookies as directed then go back and press in a few pieces yourself.
Chocolate is a very versatile flavor, so if cherry M&Ms aren’t available or you simply prefer another flavor, this recipe works with M&M – plain, peanut, mint, raspberry, peanut butter, peppermint. The possibilities are endless.
Chocolate Cherry M&M Thumbprint Cookies
Easy chocolate thumbprint cookies filled with vanilla cream and topped with cherry M&M candy
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped cherry M&Ms plus 24 whole M&Ms
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in the egg yolk, milk, and vanilla. Gradually beat in the flour mixture until a dough forms. Chill for 1 hour or until firm enough to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Place the chopped M&Ms in a small bowl.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball into the M&M mixture until the candy sticks (if it won't stick, just press a few pieces into the dough). Place on the cookie sheet then flatten with your thumb. Repeat with the remaining cookies.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. After you pull them out of the oven, if any indents puffed up, flatten them again. Let cool completely.
- For the filling: In a small bowl, beat together the sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Fill each cookie with some of the filling. Top with a whole M&M.
Source: Adapted from Hershey’s Make It Chocolate Cookbook
If you liked these Chocolate Cherry M&M Thumbprint Cookies, then you may like these similar recipes:
- White Chocolate Candy Corn M&M Cookies (substitute cherry M&Ms for the season)
- No-Bake Fudgy Peppermint Cathedral Cookies (substitute cherry M&Ms and regular mini marshmallows for the season)
- Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Thumbprints
From other bloggers:
- Butter and Jam Thumbprints from Jen’s Favorite Cookies
- Turtle Thumbprint Cookies from The Kitchen Is My Playground
- Fluffernutter Thumbprint Cookies from Taste As You Go
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchase.
Oh em gee. I have some M&M’s!
Well what are you waiting for? ;)
What a nice new blog design! Great cookies too. m&M’s are a major weakness for me. I love them in cookies.
Thanks Renee! I could eat a whole bag if I’m not careful.
Thanks for the mention, Carla! These cookies are so cute!
Thanks for mentioning my fluffernutter thumbprint cookies! Your thumbprint cookies sound positively sinful and perfect for Valentine’s Day!
You’re welcome! I need to give them a try. Love peanut butter and toasted marshmallow.
My mother-in-law wound up putting a Hershey kiss in the middle of the marshmallow after baking these for a church bake sale. My original version was a twist on the Fluffernutter sandwich. She took it to a whole new level by putting a twist on the S’More. Love!
Love smores! Funny – I just did Smores Blossom Cookies recently https://www.chocolatemoosey.com/2013/02/03/smores-blossom-cookies-for-sundaysupper-superbowl-party/
These look delicious! I’ve never even seen cherry M&Ms before so I guess I need to get out more, huh?
I’m always looking at seasonal candy! I got them at Walmart, but Target usually has them too.
Carla, these look wonderful. I love everything about them. Your site looks nice; love the update.
Awww those cookies look so cute as button, definitely a lovely treat for Valentine’s Day. :)
They sure are! Thanks Linda.
These look great! I think these would be great at Christmas! Totally Pinning them!
Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Any Day ;) You can change the M&M flavor/color and have them every holiday! Thanks Cyndi.
So yummy to look at, i want to call them-smash n grabs
these are lovely. Perfect for VALENTINE’s. I have some Cherry M&M’s too!
Such adorable cookies! And i love your design update!