Fresh, baked Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls topped with Cream Cheese Frosting are the perfect companion for your morning coffee.
As a creative baker, I love to take two separate concepts and combine them into one – German Chocolate Cake Cookie Sandwiches, Smores Hot Cocoa, Chocolate Covered Strawberry Brownies. Here’s another twist on a classic pastry recipe – Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls. Sweet cinnamon rolls stuffed with carrots, raisins, and walnuts then topped with a cream cheese icing. And since these babies are stuffed with a filling reminiscent of carrot cake, they are perfect for today’s Sunday Supper theme of stuffed recipes. Let’s stuff our faces, shall we?
I made these cinnamon rolls last year for Easter weekend when my parents and brother visited. Cinnamon rolls are such a weakness of mine, and I knew I could devour the whole dozen no questions asked. I made a note in my planner to share this recipe, and here I am a year later. This time around, I used a regular all purpose flour dough instead of the whole wheat dough it originally called for then added walnuts to the filling. I was toying with adding pineapple to the mix, but I was afraid it would be too wet and didn’t have dried pineapple on hand.
Even though I associate carrot cake with Easter, carrot cake can be eaten all year round. I don’t think carrots ever go out of season, do they? They make a great brunch treat (especially for Easter morning). Make them the night before and let them sit in the refrigerator overnight during the second resting period. In the morning, pop them in the oven then frost before serving.
You can prep these rolls the night before then pop them in the oven the morning you want to serve them. Follow the directions all the way up to assembly. During the second rise, you can cover and store in the refrigerator overnight.
- In a large mixing bowl (paddle attachment if using a stand mixer), combine the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Add the milk and melted butter. Mix on low speed until the dough forms a soft mass. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Continue beating on low until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl, 5-6 minutes.
- If using a stand mixer, change the attachment to the dough hook. Sprinkle the dough with 1 tablespoon of flour. Beat on low speed until the dough is smooth (not sticky) and springs back when you press it with your finger. If needed, add the extra tablespoon of flour. If not using a stand mixer, place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for 4-6 minutes.*
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with a tea towel, and let rise in a warm place (about 85F) for 45-60 minutes or until it has almost doubled.**
- In a medium saucepan, combine the carrots, brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins, walnuts, and water. Bring to a boil, stirring, then remove from the heat. Let cool 15 minutes.
- Spread 1 tablespoon butter in a 13x9 pan.
- On a floured surface or pastry mat, roll the dough into a 12x16 rectangle. Spread remaining 1 tablespoon butter onto dough, being careful not to rip it. Spread the carrot filling on top. Staring with a short end, roll up the dough and form a tight 12-inch cylinder. Cut into 12 slices. Place each slice, spiral side up, into the buttered pan. Cover a tea towel and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, 45-60 minutes.**
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the rolls have risen and are brown. Cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in the milk and vanilla. Spread on top of rolls.
Use your best judgement with the dough. Sometimes the weather affects the dough (especially if it's raining), so add a little more flour if needed.
*If you're having trouble finding a warm spot, place the bowl on a heating pad. I used the highest setting on mine.
**During the second rise, you can cover and store in the refrigerator overnight. When ready, bake as directed.
Source: Adapted from I Love Cinnamon Rolls!
More Carrot Cake Recipes
Carrot Cake Baked Doughnuts
Sunday Supper Links
Starters and Snacks
- Easy Apple Dumplings by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Endive Stuffed with Blue Cheese, Walnuts and Honey by Shockingly Delicious
- Filipino Turon (Banana Lumpia) by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Arepas de Queso (cheese stuffed cornmeal cakes) by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Tinga Taquitos with Avocado Cream by Savvy Eats
- Eggy Rice Wraps by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Onigiri by Brunch With Joy
- Stuffed Shell Pierogies by Seduction in The Kitchen
- Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce by Run DMT
- Celery Root and Lentil Lettuce Wraps with Yogurt-Garlic Dressing by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Thai Peanut Stuffed Jalapenos by Healthy. Delicious.
Entrees and Mains
- Rouladen by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Stracci di Antrodoco by Manu’s Menu
- Eggplant Rollatini by MealDiva
- Grandma Katrinas’ Russian Cabbage rolls (Golubtsy) by European Cutie
- Chicken Cordon Blue by The Foodie Army Wife
- Lunchroom Meatroll by MarocMama
- Stuffed Whole Baby Savoy Cabbages by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Taco Egg Rolls by Table for Seven
- Shrimp Tempura Rolls by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Herbed Stuffed Salmon by Nosh My Way
- Tamales de Rajas y Requeson (Roasted Poblano Tamales) by La Cocina de Leslie
- Bademjan Shekam-por – Persian Stuffed Eggplant by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Southwest Breakfast Burrito by It’s Yummi!
- Mascarpone Blueberry Stuffed French Toast by gotta get baked
- Korean-style Meaty Stuffed Potatoes by kimchi MOM
- Steak Smothered Burritos by Cookin’ Mimi
- Strawberries and Cream Pancake Roll by Curious Cuisiniere
- Creamy Goat Cheese Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Greek Rolled Meatloaf by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Shrimp Burritos Con Queso by Cooking On The Ranch
- Bee-Bim Bop Sushi Rolls by NinjaBaking.com
- Angel Hair Shrimp Lettuce Wraps by Family Foodie
- Genoa Salami and Kalamata Olive Calzones by The Texan New Yorker
- Zucchini Boats by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Girl’s Camp Breakfast Burritos by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crab Louie Stuffed Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Rustic “Wrapped” Tart with Ramps by Delaware Girl Eats
- Potato Roll Stuffed with Ham and Cheese in Red Sause by Basic N Delicious
- Ham, Turkey and Cheddar Turnovers by Magnolia Days
- Crispy Chipotle Shrimp Burritos by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken Bread by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pizza Pockets by girlichef
- Ham and Cheese Crescent “Roll” Stromboli by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Beef Wellington Braciole by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Greek Salad Wrap by The Messy Baker
- Herbed Venison Lettuce Wraps by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
All things Sweet
- Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach by Desserts Required
- Chocolate Cake Roll by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cannoli Stuffed French Toast by Momma’s Meals
- Lemon Poppyseed Swirl Cookies by What Smells So Good
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Egg Rolls by Melanie Makes
- Raspberry and Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chocolate Chip Banana Sweet Rolls by Big Bear’s Wife
- Orange Chocolate Swiss Roll by Noshing With The Nolands
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Flourless Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Sopapilla Cheesecake Puffs by The Weekend Gourmet