What are your Thanksgiving plans (and if you are not from US, what are your overall holiday plans)? I do nothing extravagant for Thanksgiving. I’ll be traveling back to my hometown to have dinner with my parents, brother, and Murray. Yes, Murray gets a brand new can of turkey and gravy to eat along with us. This year, we are doing turkey and chicken legs (Mom doesn’t eat turkey), stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, green bean casserole (not from a can!), and pumpkin pie. Surprisingly, we don’t have a lot of leftovers. Usually just a few more helpings of casserole and some meat. Oh and pie.
As you make last-minute changes to your menu, don’t forget to plan for leftovers! #SundaySupper decided share today how we use leftovers. I had a really tough time coming up with an idea. We simply don’t do much with leftovers except, well, eat them. However, the one thing people may have leftover is canned pumpkin. If you’re like me, I buy the big can because it’s cheaper. Then I thought about the holidays and homemade gifts, and pretty soon I came up with Pumpkin Gingersnap Truffles. A thoughtful homemade gift *and* a way to use up leftovers.
Although these Pumpkin Gingersnap Truffles do take a little bit of extra time to make (you must chill before dipping), you can make a ton and knock out a few gifts. Package them in pretty bakery bags or in tiny treat boxes. So many people give out cookies, these truffles will be a welcoming break.
The chocolate shell is spiced with cinnamon and ginger. On the inside is a smooth and creamy filling of pumpkin, gingersnap crumbs, and cream cheese. I chose to be festive with sprinkles, but feel free to use gingersnap crumbs or even chopped nuts. Trust me – you can’t eat just one!
- 1 1/2 cups gingersnap crumbs
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- In a medium bowl, beat together the gingersnap crumbs, cream cheese, and pumpkin. Shape into roughly 24 balls and place on a cookie sheet. Refrigerate for about an hour or until firm.
- Create a double boiler on the stove by boiling some water in a medium saucepan. Place a heatproof bowl over the water (do not let the bottom of the bowl touch the water). Melt the chocolate in the bowl until smooth. Whisk in the cinnamon and ginger. Turn off the heat.
- Dip each pumpkin ball into the chocolate and roll until covered. Drip off the excess chocolate and place onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Top with sprinkles. Chill in the refrigerate until firm.
Source: Adapted from Lindsey’s Kitchen
Ready to tackle some more Thanksgiving leftovers? Bookmark these recipes so you have an even better meal the weekend after!
Breakfast & Brunch
- Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls by Juanita’s Cocina
- Turkey Cranberry Muffins by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Sweet Potato Biscuits by Home Cooking Memories
- Turkey Enchiladas by Webicurean
- Thanksgiving Leftover Casserole by FamilyFoodie
- Turkey and Cranberry Monte Cristo by Supper for a Steal
- Thanksgiving hangover sandwich by Crispy Bits & Burt Ends
- Turkey Tamale Pie by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Thanksgiving Leftovers Pot Pie by I Run For Wine
- Turkey and Stuffing Pasty by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- The Ultimate Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich by Daily Dish Recipes
- Turkey Vegetable Hash by Generation Y Foodie
- Turkey Tetrazzini by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Thanksgiving Leftovers: Turkey and Andouille Gumbo for #SundaySupper by Catholic Foodie
- Red Potato Turkey Cutlets with Ginger & Fresh Herbs by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Thanksgiving Turkey Banh Mi Sandwich by 30AEats
- Leftover Turkey and Sausage Gumbo by My Catholic Kitchen
- Turkey Mornay Open-Face Sandwiches by The Weekend Gourmet
- Leftover Mashed Potatoes and Beef Croquettes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Simple and easy! Turkey a la king, fit for a queen! by Midlife Road Trip
- Turkey and Mushroom Risotto by Comfy Cuisine
- Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Skillet Turkey Reuben by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- # glutenfree Turkey Shepard’s Cake by Cooking Underwriter
- Hawaiian BBQ Turkey Flatbread Pizza by Damn Delicious
- Turkey shepards pie! by The Realistic Nutritionist
- Turkey & Cranberry Panini with Tarragon Aioli by The Messy Baker Blog
Soups, Salads, Sides & Starters
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Shallots and Pancetta by Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Curried Turkey Salad by Kimchi Mom
- Potato Patties w/ Tomato Salsa by La Cocina De Leslie
- Spicy Coconut Turkey Soup by Diabetic Foodie
- Mashed Potatoes Twice Baked by Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Moroccan Chicken Salad with Rice by My Trial’s in the Kitchen
- Cranberry Barbecue Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Olive Tapenade by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Leftover Turkey Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Bread Pudding by MarocMama
Sweets & Desserts
- Cranberry Sauce Crumb Bars by girlichef
- Pumpkin Gingersnap Truffles by Chocolate Moosey
- Sweet Potato Spice Cake with Pecan Streusel Topping by Shockingly Delicious
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Potato Frosting by Yummy Smells
Wine Pairings for the Recipes Featured
- Wine Pairings for Thanksgiving Leftovers #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Please join on us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper on November 18. In the evening we will meet at 7pm EST for our #SundaySupper Thanksgiving Leftovers live chat.
We’d also love to feature your recipe for Thanksgiving Leftovers on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board to share them with all of our followers, too.