Small Batch Banana Cupcakes
Small Batch Banana Cupcakes are easy yet moist and delicious cupcakes made from scratch without cake mix. Top them with chocolate buttercream frosting for a heavenly pairing.
Then when I had small batch chocolate frosting on hand, I decided on Small Batch Banana Cupcakes.
I was a little hesitant in making these. One time I bought a banana cupcake from a well-known cupcakery. My friend and I were disappointed because it tasted like my small batch banana muffins rather than a cupcake.
Is that normal for banana cupcakes? Is it possible to achieve a cake form of banana flavor (without using extract)?
I’m happy to report these taste like cupcakes and not like muffins (although the texture looks similar).
With the base being so basic, it makes a great canvas for ideas – add spices such as cinnamon or nutmeg; give it some texture by adding walnuts, pecans or chocolate chips; or fill it with jam, mousse, pastry cream, or even marshmallow cream (or marshmallows themselves).
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup mashed overripe banana (roughly 1 medium banana - please measure as bananas vary greatly in size)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Small Batch Chocolate Frosting (get recipe here)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cupcake pan with 6 paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl on medium-high speed (with paddle attachment if using a stand mixer), beat together the sugar, oil, and egg until smooth.
- Scrape down the bowl then beat in the banana and vanilla.
- Turn the mixer down to the lowest speed possible then gradually add in the flour mixture.
- Evenly transfer the batter to the cupcake liners, filling about halfway full. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle is clean. Cool for about 15 minutes in the pan then remove and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Decorate with chocolate frosting. Cover and store at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. For best results, let the refrigerated cupcakes sit at room temperature 15-30 minutes before serving.