Chewy peanut butter cookies with peanut butter cup pieces then sandwiched together with peanut butter frosting. Grab a glass of milk and dig in!
Today marks the beginning of a beautiful week – it’s Cookie Week! Cookie Week is just what it sounds like – a week full of cookie recipes hosted by Susan of The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen and Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic to get you ready for the holiday with lots of ideas for gift giving and parties. I personally will only be posting three days, but we have over 20 bloggers posting all week with every cookie type you can possibly imagine, including treats for your furry friends. Even if you aren’t ready to make them now, be sure to follow the Cookie Week Pinterest board for recipes all in one place.
I’m kicking off the week with Peanut Butter Cup Sandwich Cookies. I took a chewy peanut butter cookie recipe, used peanut butter cups instead of chocolate chips, then sandwiched them together with peanut butter filling. A peanut butter lover’s dream that may require a glass of milk.
I’ve had this idea in my head for a long time, ever since I used peanut butter cups as chocolate chips in my peanut butter cup bars. What prompted me to sandwich them together I’m not sure. I just know the more peanut butter, the better. Even if I hate drinking milk.
I envision these wrapped up in a box, all ready to give away for Christmas. I bet they’ll mail well too. After all, what’s Christmas without a cookie exchange? This batch you see here was taken into work and devoured in almost no time. I’ve even had coworkers tell other coworkers to go grab a cookie at my desk.
Of course if you just want the cookies without the peanut butter frosting, feel free to do just that (but I highly recommend you go all out with the peanut butter. Or even use chocolate filling).
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped peanut butter cups (the size of chocolate chips)
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
For the cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, brown sugar, and peanut butter until creamy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually beat in the flour mixture. Stir in the peanut butter cups.
- Drop dough by the tablespoon onto the the baking sheets*. Bake 8-10 minutes or until the edges are set and the centers look done but are still soft. Let stand on the sheet for 4 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the filling
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the peanut butter and butter until creamy and smooth. On low speed, add the powdered sugar and salt and beat until combined. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Take one cookie and spread some of the frosting onto the flat side. Take another cookie and place on top, flat side down. Repeat with the remaining cookies.
*If your dough is too warm, chill in the refrigerator for about an hour before baking.
Source: Adapted from Nestle Toll House Best Loved Cookies
If you liked these Peanut Butter Cup Sandwich Cookies, you may also like these recipes from me:
- Peanut Butter Cup Bars
- Double Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies (and tips for mailing cookies)
- Peanut Butter-Stuffed Chocolate Cookies
Here are the participants for Cookie Week. Be sure to check out their blogs all week for delicious cookie ideas:
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Sandwich Cookies by The Cooking Actress
- Caramel Apple Cider Cookies by Like Mother Like Daughter
- Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookie Bars with Peanut Butter Frosting by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chocolate-Filled Christmas Thumbprint Cookies by Food Lust People Love
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie Sandwich Cookies by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie Cookie Cups by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chocolate Peppermint Raisin Cookies from It’s Yummi!
- Classic Gingersnap Cookies by In The Kitchen With KP
- Coffee-Toffee Thumbprint Cookies from Crumb
- Dark Chocolate Andes Cookie Cups by Beyond Frosting
- Double Chocolate Biscotti by Love and Confections
- Eggnog Cookies by Jen’s Favorite Cookies
- Extra-Chewy Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Cookies from Omeletta
- Fruit Coolers by Texana’s Kitchen
- Gluten-free Elisenlebkuchen cookies by Masala Herb
- Iced Molasses Cookies with by i heart eating
- Nutella Cookies by Total Noms
- Orange Cream Cookies by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Pumpkin Coconut Macaroons by 52 Kitchen Adventures
- Rolo Brownie Cookies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Saketini Christmas Balls from NinjaBaking.com