Did you know that April is National Grilled Cheese Month? I’m not entirely sure why April, but who’s going to question a month full of cheese? And of course after you eat your dinner full of grilled cheese, it only makes sense to end it with these Grilled Nutella Cheesecake Sandwiches for dessert. Two slices of pound cake filled with a creamy and addicting filling of Nutella and cheesecake.
This idea popped into my head one day while frustrated at work. Grilled cheese…cheesecake…grilled cheesecake. Hey that’s a great idea! I searched for other grilled cheesecake recipes, and most called for an actual slice of cheesecake. What if you don’t have cheesecake? That’s where I got the idea to create a cheesecake filling (egg free!) that you could put in a sandwich.
Now what can I pair with the cheesecake? First thought was strawberries or cherries, but it isn’t strawberry or cherry season. Peaches? No, not until late summer. Hmm. Can I use something that isn’t fruit? Then it hit me – Nutella. Everyone has a jar of Nutella in the pantry (or at least they should).
For the “bread”, I used a pound cake recipe that used up some egg whites in my fridge. It has cinnamon, clove, and a touch of rum. I included it in the recipe below, but feel free to use your favorite pound cake. I bet you could even make it with banana bread.
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons rum
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 6-cup loaf pan. Set side.
- In a measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg whites, and rum. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, clove, and cocoa. Add the butter and half of the milk mixture. Mix on low until the dry ingredients are moistened then beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides. Gradually add the remaining milk in two batches.
- Scrape the batter into the loaf pan. Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when lightly pressed (the cake will have a split down the middle). Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes then invert onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- In a medium bowl, beat the heavy cream until it starts to thicken. Add the powdered sugar. Continue beating the cream until stiff peaks form (when you pull the beaters straight up, the peaks will not fall over). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the granulated sugar and cream cheese until smooth and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla. Turn off the mixer and fold in the whipped cream.
- Preheat a dry skillet. Cut the loaf into 1/2-inch half slices. Take one slice of cake and butter one side. Take another slice of cake and butter one side. On one of the unbuttered sides, spread about 2 tablespoons of the cheesecake filling. With the remaining unbuttered side, spread about 1 tablespoon Nutella. Sandwich the cake slices together with the cheesecake and Nutella sides facing each other. Fry the sandwich on one side then flip and fry the other side. Repeat with the remaining cake slices.
Source: Pound cake recipe from The Cake Bible
If you like these Grilled Nutella Cheesecake Sandwiches, you may also like these recipes:
- Nutella Espresso Hot Fudge Sauce (to dip your sandwich in, of course)
- No Cook Egg Free Nutella Ice Cream
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits (in case you have leftover cheesecake filling)
From other bloggers: