Cadbury Creme Egg Pull Apart Sweet Rolls – first of all, I don’t think pictures can justify what these sweet rolls look like. It’s like a monkey bread muffin that you pull apart except it’s made with the same dough as cinnamon rolls (minus the cinnamon). It was an experiment that tastes better than it looks, and I wanted to share them for today’s Springtime #SundaySupper because nothing says springtime like Cadbury Creme Eggs.
The idea came from these Nutella Rolls. Someone at work gave me one of these to try, and I was so stumped with how it got its look. The person who made them wasn’t around to ask, and I had no clue what to type to look them up online. Then I logged into Pinterest and there were these Nutella Rolls, the same exact thing I just ate hours before that.
After noticing they used packaged biscuit dough in a can, I put it on my to-make-from-scratch list. Not only did I want to make the dough from scratch, I wanted to try more of a sweet dough rather than the type of biscuits called for. Then the idea dropped lower and lower on the priority list and were soon a thing of the past.
Then I started thinking about Cadbury Creme Eggs and what I could make with them. I already did a milkshake, cupcakes, and ice cream. I thought about brownies, but if you searched for creme egg brownies right now, you would get a gazillion of them. Cookies? Rice crispy treats? Then I thought about working with the cream filling. What if instead of Nutella I used the fondant cream from the eggs then chopped up the chocolate on top?
Of course working with the creme eggs was a bit messy, but I had fun with them and was anxious to see how they turned out. The dough itself isn’t very sweet and tastes like a cinnamon roll without the sweet filling of cinnamon and sugar. Instead, you have the sweetness from the Cadbury eggs. And if that wasn’t enough to send you into a sugar coma, I topped each one with a simple glaze.
I know these Cadbury Creme Egg Pull Apart Sweet Rolls look weird, and maybe they are, but I know one thing for sure – you won’t see these babies anywhere else.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package yeast
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup warm whole milk (105-115 degrees)
- 1/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 10 Cadbury Creme Eggs
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Few drops of vanilla
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, salt, and yeast. Beat in the butter, milk, and water then beat in the egg. Gradually beat in the flour mixture until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface then knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-8 minutes.* Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place free from draft for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Have an ungreased muffin pan ready.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 12×15 inch rectangle. Cut the dough into 3-inch squares. Cut open one of the creme eggs and spread about half of the cream onto one square. Cut up one chocolate egg half and add on top of the creme. Tightly roll up the dough and cut in half. Place each half, cut side up, into one of the muffin cups. Repeat with the remaining squares. Each muffin cup should have 3 rolled-up dough pieces. If you have any pieces left over, you can have 4 in a cup.
- Cover the pan and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until rolls are brown on top. Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, milk, and vanilla. Drizzle on top of rolls.
Source: Dough recipe from The Fleischmann Treasury of Yeast Baking cookbook, 1962
Check out what the rest of #SundaySupper is making to get ready for spring:
- Baked Eggs with Shaved Asparagus and Proscuitto by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shrimp and Leek Quiche by Gourmet Drizzles
- Spinach and Cheddar Quiche for St. Patrick’s Day Brunch by Supper For A Steal
- Asparagus and Spring Onion Frittatta by Country Girl in the Village
- Egg Bake with Spring Onions, Asparagus and Artichokes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Apps, Bread, Salads, Soups and Dressings:
- Strawberry, Avocado, Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette by Daily Dish Recipes
- Asparagus Gazpacho by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Spinach Bacon Salad by In The Kitchen with Audrey
- Anchovy and Egg Salad by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Asparagus Red Pepper Salad by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- White Asparagus & Salmon Spring Salad by Family Foodie
- Chicken-Strawberry Field Green Salad w/Strawberry Balsamic Dressing by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bacon & Egg Spring Salad by Daddy Knows Less
- Green Garbanzo Hummus by Soni’s Food
Main and Sides:
- Pea Shoot Risotto by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sweet Ginger Scallion Noodles by What Smells So Good?
- Asparagus Pesto w/Heirloom Fingerlings and Orecchiette by Webicurean
- Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day by Noshing With The Nolands
- Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts with Gruyère and Hazelnuts by Hip Foodie Mom
- Raw Cucumber Sandwich with Avocado and Spinach Sauce by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Berry Tacos by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Bundles by Diabetic Foodie
- Caramelized Grapes and Brie Whole Wheat Galette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pink Water Kimchi (Nabak Kimchi) by Kimchi Mom
- Key Lime Cheesecake by The Foodie Army Wife
- Irish Coffee Ice Cream with Caramel Whiskey Sauce by 30A Eats
- Coconut Raspberry Layer Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Fresh Mango Berry Mousse With Coconut Cream by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate Mint Brownies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Cadbury Creme Egg Pull-Apart Sweet Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Lemon Roll Cake by The Ninja Baker
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Candied Flowers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lemon Citrus Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Mini Fruit Tarts by Big Bear’s Wife
- Faux Fried Ice Cream by Neighborfood
- Watergate Salad by Cupcakes and Pearls Blog
- Good-for-You Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Guinness Beer Milkshake by The Urban Mrs
- Wines to Pair with Springtime #SundaySupper Dishes by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite cookout recipes!