Pumpkin Roll Cake
Hope all you U.S. cooks had a lovely Thanksgiving holiday. Mine had a disasterous start when I realized I left my box of baking stuff at the apartment. Fortunately most of it was “what if I bake this?” ingredients, so I only had to buy baking soda, powder, and powdered sugar. My family doesn’t bake; therefore, I have the baking supplies at my apartment. Besides that, it felt good to be home for a bit. I took advantage of being home and made some recipes I wouldn’t make while at school. The first thing I made was the infamous Pumpkin Roll Cake.
Who hasn’t made this pumpkin roll yet? The cream cheese filling is good enough to eat out of the bowl. I was surprised this cake was flexible enough to roll. Obviously I knew that because it is a rolled cake, but you expect it to break at any second. Next time I will try to make the roll a little tighter haha
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar (for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan with wax paper. Grease paper. Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with 1/4 cup powdered sugar.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmgeg and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.
- Filling: Beat cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, butter and vanilla in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Source: Very Best Baking