Homemade flour tortillas made from scratch with fajita seasoning added
I’ve never been one to follow traditions and social norms. I don’t have an obsession for shoes and purses and don’t see how someone can spend $200+ on something I’m going to ruin anyway. I don’t lose weight for bikini season. And as much as I love a good beer, I was never a party animal in college. So why would I make traditional flour tortillas? Even if I tried my hardest to make something traditional, I end up breaking the rules anyway. I wanted to make Homemade Spiced Flour Tortillas from scratch since I eat tortillas so much, which ties into this week’s #SundaySupper theme of new cooking adventures.
I think I buy a pack of tortillas about 2-3 times a month because they make dinner so quick and easy. Let’s see, I’ve blogged about Buffalo Chicken Dip Quesadillas, Summer Squash and Mushroom Quesadillas, Bacon Cheeseburger Tacos, and Taco Salad Bowls. You can even bake tortillas and make crispy chips to dip into Garden Salsa or Jalapeno Popper Dip.
When I heard this week’s theme is trying something new, I wasn’t sure what to make. Cinco de Mayo is coming up in a few weeks where most people will be eating lots of Mexican cuisine, so I decided to tackle homemade tortillas. I thought making them from scratch would be a pain because they are so thin. Turns out they are ridiculously easy. There’s no yeast involved, and if you can roll out pizza dough, you can roll out tortilla dough.
Typically you don’t add spice to the tortillas since you won’t know what you’re making with them. However, I don’t stray too far from Mexican food, so I added a little bit of Homemade Fajita Seasoning. I also used butter-flavored shortening, which is why my tortillas are more yellow than white. See? I’m a rule breaker.
The one downfall to making homemade spiced flour tortillas is you have to let the dough rest twice. Although it’s not something I could pull together for dinner after work, if you spend a few hours on a day off, you can make and even freeze tortillas to get you through the week. © Chocolate Moosey. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish a recipe, please rewrite it in your own words or link back to the post for the recipe.
Source: Adapted from Juanita’s Cocina
Looking for some more cooking adventures? Check out what the rest of #SundaySupper is cooking up:
© Chocolate Moosey. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish a recipe, please rewrite it in your own words or link back to the post for the recipe.
New Expeditions (Sides, Starters & Staples)
- Homemade Corn Tortillas from Pescetarian Journal
- Easy Oven Polenta from Shockingly Delicious
- Homemade Spiced Flour Tortillas from Chocolate Moosey
- Naan from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Homemade Tofu from Kimchi MOM
- Indian Moong Beans from Magnolia Days
- Baked Lemon Coconut Risotto from Soni’s Food
- Homemade Peanut Butter from Home Cooking Memories
- Homemade Ricotta Cheese from Webicurean
- Portuguese Chorizo Bread from Family Foodie
Grand Quests (Main Dishes)
- Traditional Pork Tamales from Gourmet Drizzles
- Braised Lamb Brisket with Lemon Oregano Yogurt Sauce from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Rice Burger from The Urban Mrs.
- Pan-fried Scallops with Garlic Chili Linguine from Food Lust People Love
- Miso-Glazed Salmon from The Foodie Patootie
- Penne with Mustard and Chives from My Other City By The Bay
- Arepas Rellenas (Stuffed Arepas) from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spanish Baked Scallops from Momma’s Meals
- Black Beans and Cheese Empanadas from Basic N Delicious
- Pork Dim Sum from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Venison Steak Gyros from Curious Cuisiniere
- Baked Tilapia with Parmesan Basil Sauce from Growing Up Gabel
- Vegetarian Hortobagyi Pancakes from Happy Baking Days
- Caribou & Andouille Chili from The Foodie Army Wife
Escapades (Sweet Treats & Spirited Companions)
- Vegan Chocolate Mousse from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Zebra Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Multilayer Bars from What Smells So Good?
- Rut-Busting Wines For New Cooking Adventures from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Homemade Vanilla Marshmallows from Vintage Kitchen
- Strawberry Raspberry Fruit Leather from Juanita’s Cocina
- Making Macarons – FAIL! from girlichef
- Macaroons from Noshing With The Nolands
- Fresh Strawberry Frozen Yogurt from The Messy Baker
- Bircher Muesli from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Hello Kitty Rice Krispies from The Ninja Baker
- Homemade Cinnamon Rolls from In The Kitchen With KP
- Dorie Greenspan’s Orange Almond Tart from Hip Foodie Mom
- Ombre Mini Cakes from Daily Dish Recipes
- Chocolate Dipped Madeleines from Big Bear’s Wife
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, April 28th to talk all about our foodie fears! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.
Join us this summer in Orlando for our first Annual Food and Wine Conference