Chocolate chip cookies meet traditional cheesecake in these Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars baked in a loaf pan, packed with plenty of cookie dough on top.
Updated 2/9/2015: Once a month, my friend hosts a themed dinner at her house where we all bring at least one dish to share with everyone. With the theme being comfort food, I knew I had to make these Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars again. After all, what is more comforting than chocolate chip cookies, cookie dough, and cheesecake all rolled into one treat? Before bringing them to the dinner, I took advantage and shot new and improved photos as the old photos didn’t justify just how good these are. I also updated the recipe to reflect some changes I’ve made from my original attempt.
Original post 8/17/2010: Now that I live alone, I don’t bake as often. Sure, I could take stuff into work (and I have), but it seems like everyone is on Weight Watchers. Plus I don’t always have the energy. How do all you parents do it? I barely have energy to cook and clean for myself, let alone a family. I guess you get used to it? I hope so, or I’ll never be able to take care of one. My family does come up to visit, so when they do, I want to have a special treat for them. That way I can bake and get rid of the extra calories.
Several months ago, I found a used copy of The Essential Chocolate Chip Cookbook. I’ve had this on my Amazon Wish List ever since I saw these cheesecake bars on Bake or Break. It’s more than just chocolate chip cookies. It has cookies, muffins, pies, tarts, puddings, cakes, ice cream desserts, pretty much anything with chocolate chips, including the Strawberry and White Chocolate Cheesecake I made back in June. Anyway, after drooling at the pictures, I decided to make these Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars. What a mouthful! And a good one too. The cookie dough layer on top ending up being almost a whole layer rather than chunks here and there, so the cheesecake layer isn’t as dominant. I opted to leave off the chocolate drizzle. I enjoy them cold, preferably from the freezer. Of course my family forgot to take the extras home, so that’s why they ended up in my freezer in the first place.
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- For the crust: In medium bowl, mix together the crumbs and melted butter until evenly moistened. Press into the bottom of the pan and bake 5-8 minutes or until dry and firm. Leave the oven on and cool the crust while making the cookie dough and filling.
- For the cookie dough: In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, sugar, salt, and vanilla until smooth and creamy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually beat in the flour just until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips (it'll be a little crumbly but you should be able to press the dough together). Transfer to another bowl and wipe the crumbs out of the mixing bowl (no need to fully wash it).
- For the cheesecake filling: In the same mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the bowl then beat in the egg and vanilla for another minute.
- Evenly spread the cheesecake filling on top of the cooled crust, being careful to not tear up the crust. Drop spoonfuls of cookie dough over top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely to room temperature then refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Source: Adapted from The Essential Chocolate Chip Cookbook
More Chocolate Chip Recipes
Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheese Ball