Soft pumpkin sugar cookies topped with creamy cinnamon frosting and festive sprinkles to put you in the pumpkin mood.
It’s Day 2 of Cookie Week on Chocolate Moosey! In case you missed the details on Monday,, Cookie Week is a week full of cookie recipes hosted by Susan of The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen and Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic to get you ready for the holiday with over 20 bloggers posting every type you can possibly imagine, including treats for your furry friends. Be sure to follow our Pinterest board for recipes all in one place. We are also giving away fabulous baking-related prizes from KitchenAid, King Arthur Flour, OXO, Silpat and Zulka Pure Cane Sugar. Visit Monday’s post to enter the giveaway.
I knew I couldn’t go through November without posting anything pumpkin, so I finally opened my first can of the season. Usually I don’t wait this long, but I wanted to get through apple season first before I could concentrate on pumpkin goodies. As soon as I heard about cookie week, my first thought was pumpkin cookies of some sort. I already posted about my favorite pumpkin raisin cookies when I first started blogging. Now to bring you something different – Pumpkin Sugar Cookies with Cinnamon Frosting. Soft and spiced, these festive cookies belong on your cookie tray for fall.
I don’t know about you, but I love decorating sugar cookies with sprinkles even though I don’t use them enough. Seriously, I’m a sprinkles hoarder. Which type do you like – traditional sprinkles or nonpareils (the dots)? Personally I like the traditional kind the best, but I eat all sprinkles equally.
You won’t need to roll out the dough, which is a huge plus when time is limited. Just make balls like you would with any cookie dough and place them on the cookie sheet. However, I used shortening, so the dough won’t spread much. If you want smaller cookies, gently flatten the top just a bit (think flat fat dough balls). If you want slightly bigger cookies as pictured, flatten with the bottom of a glass before baking. Please note that if you do use butter, you may want to bake a test batch to see how much they’ll spread.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the shortening, oil, pumpkin, and both sugars until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually beat in the flour mixture until completely incorporated (do not overbeat).
- Scoop the dough using a 1-1/2 tablespoon cookie scoop onto the baking sheets. Flatten each one with the bottom of a glass to roughly 1/2-inch thick. Bake 8-9 minutes or until edges are firm and center puffs. Cool on the sheet for 4 minutes then move to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the vanilla, cream, and cinnamon and beat until light and fluffy. Scoop a spoonful on top of each cooled cookie then spread with an offset spatula. Immediately top with sprinkles. Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Source: Adapted from Lauren’s Latest
If you liked these Soft Pumpkin Sugar Cookies with Cinnamon Frosting, you may also like these recipes from me:
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip or Raisin Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cut Out Cookies
- Red Velvet Sugar Cookie Bars
Here are more cookie recipe ideas from other bloggers participating in cookie week:
- Black Forest Sandwich Cookies by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Chewy Cocoa Fudge Cookies by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies by i heart eating
- Macadamia and White Chocolate Chip Cookies by In The Kitchen With KP
- Maple Brown Butter Snickerdoodle Cups by Beyond Frosting
- Maple Cookies by Total Noms
- Kitchen Sink Cookies by Texana’s Kitchen
- Nutella Cookies by NinjaBaking.com
- Nutmeg Logs by Love and Confections
- Oatmeal Raisin by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Peanut Butter Blossoms by Like Mother Like Daughter
- Pumpkin and Apple Dog Cookies by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Raspberry Streusel Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Spicy Ginger Chews by Crumb
- Vodka Cookies by Masala Herb
Be sure to check out Day 1 of Cookie Week with my Peanut Butter Cup Sandwich Cookies and a chance to win one of four prizes from our sponsors!