Corn Dog Muffins
Any blogger who has been baking for at least a year will tell you how embarrassing some of the first pictures were. Guess we have to all start somewhere, no? When I was going through my archive, I found some great recipes I completely forgot about, like these Corn Dog Muffins. I used to make these all the time before I moved out. I’ve made them twice since the redesign, so I want to share them with you again.
I love corn dogs, but I hate deep frying. It has nothing to do with the calories. I just hate disposing all of that used oil afterwards (lazy, I know!). These Corn Pup Muffins are their easy-bake cousins – a moist cornbread muffin with a slice of hot dog in the middle. The perfect accompaniment to chili or soup. They also pack a punch with the chili powder and cumin. Normally, I’d cut the recipe in half for six muffins, but it’s a little complicated with it calling for only 1 egg. No worries – if you don’t eat the extras, freeze them for later.
This is the picture posted back in 2007, about 2 months after starting this blog. Damn haha
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten with fork
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 hot dogs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line muffin pan with paper liners or coat with cooking spray.
- Stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Make a hole in the bottom of the bowl and pour in milk, beaten egg, and oil. Stir just until blended. Fold in cheese.
- Drop a spoonful of batter into each muffin cup. Place hot dog piece into batter. Fill with enough batter to cover the hot dog (You only need a small scoop to cover it or you won’t have enough for 12!)
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Muffins should be lightly browned and clean when toothpick is inserted. Let cool before removing from pan.
Source: USA Weekend Newspaper – Nov. 10-12, 2006