Chocolate Chip Cookie and Cream Tart
If you ever visit my apartment unannounced, you’ll find cookbooks laying everywhere – on the coffee table, on the kitchen table, on my desk chair, on the floor, etc. When I was cleaning for my family to visit this past weekend, I had about 20 books to put away on my shelf (that needs to be reorganized). I love cookbooks and when I need a recipe, I tend to look at pictures first. When you read The Essential Chocolate Chip Cookbook, you can’t help but drool over the pictures. After buying the book, the picture for the Chocolate Chip Cookie and Cream Tart has always jumped out at me. I needed a dessert for my family and decided to (finally) make the tart.
As the name implies, it is a giant chocolate chip cookie with fudge filling and whipped cream on top. You make the base in a springform pan, bake it for 17 minutes (I think mine got a little too brown), then let it cool. As it bakes, make the fudge filling and let that cool. After cooling both parts, spread the filling on top and chill for a bit. Then you whip some cream for the top and voila – a simple yet delicious dessert that is always in season.
After being successful with this dessert, I have a few ideas I could play around with. I have individual springform pans, so I want to scale this down to make just one that you can share or have all to yourself. Then because the base is sturdy, I want to use it for Baked Alaska.
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 10-inch springform pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and both sugars until smoothly blended, about 1 min. Add egg and vanilla; beat until blended. The mixture may look slightly curdled. On low speed, add flour mix until incorporated. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the dough evenly over the bottom of the pan. Bake just until the top begins to turn golden but center is still soft, 15-17 minutes. Cool crust completely.
- While the crust is cooling, make the filling. In a saucepan, heat cream and butter until the cream is hot and butter melts. Do not let the cream boil. Remove from the heat and add chocolate chips. Let sit for 30 seconds then whisk until melted and smooth. Stir in vanilla. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Leaving a 1 inch edge, spread the filling over the crust. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes to firm. Remove from the pan.
- Next, make the topping. In a large bowl, beat the cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until firm peaks form. Spread the whipped cream over the chocolate filling, mounding it slightly in the center. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready.
Source: The Essential Chocolate Chip Cookbook, p. 58