As I said in my last post, McCormick and Kim Ima, cookie-sharing expert and author of the new “The Treats Truck Baking Book,” worked together to create delicious new cookies for Christmas. The second recipe I tried from Kim were Peppermint Rice Crispy Squares.
I must confess – I didn’t exactly follow Kim’s ingredient list. You see, as I was looking for gingerbread marshmallows, I found peppermint ones instead. So instead of using regular mini marshmallows with peppermint extract, I decided to melt these babies instead.
I always forget how much I love homemade rice crispy treats. Make sure you use a big enough bowl though when melting and mixing everything together! One setback with the peppermint marshmallows is they make the squares very pink, like Pepto Bismol pink. I suppose you could add some food coloring to make them red. I’m not a fan of candy canes, so instead of adding crushed candy, I added snowflake sprinkles.
If you enjoyed these, make sure you enter the McCormick Giveaway by December 20, 2011 for your chance to win a copy of Kim’s book “The Treats Truck Baking Book,” ground ginger, ground cinnamon, and peppermint extract from McCormick.
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) mini peppermint marshmallows OR plain mini marshmallows + 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- Sprinkles or crushed candy canes, for decorating
- Line 9-inch square pan with parchment paper; grease paper. Melt butter in large saucepan on low heat. Add marshmallows; stir constantly until melted. Remove from heat. Add peppermint extract if using; mix well. Stir in cereal and white chocolate chips. Press into pan using a buttered spatula. Sprinkle top with sprinkles or crushed candy canes. If needed, place a piece of cellophane wrap or parchment paper on top and press down to flatten the treats. Cool 15 minutes then cut into squares.