Have a coffee date at home for Valentine’s Day with S’mores Hot Mocha with chocolate and toasted marshmallows melted directly into the coffee.
Recently there was an article on my newsfeed about the stigma of doing things alone, talking about how society thinks it’s unacceptable to be out in public by yourself.
I can 100 percent relate because I’m single and my choices are either be a shut-in because nobody is available or embrace it because life is too short.
I refuse to let that stop me, so I embrace it.
One thing I love to do on the weekends is take myself out on a coffee date. I’ll order a drink to stay then enjoy it.
Once in awhile, I’ll meet up with a friend to catch up on each other’s lives. Coffee is a magical thing.
As you can imagine, that cost adds up plus it’s only on the weekends. With Valentine’s Day being on a Tuesday this year, I wanted to treat myself with a stay-at-home coffee date.
I don’t need to venture into the rain/snow/whatever the weather is doing right now (it’s been back and forth all month!).
No need to put on makeup or worry that my favorite shirt has a hole in it. No need to wonder how hard society is judging me while I’m at the table by myself.
Just me, a fun coffee mug, and this S’mores Hot Mocha.
I chose s’mores because I love a certain chain’s cold s’mores drink and wanted to recreate a hot version at home.
As the name implies, it’s a hot drink with chocolate and toasted marshmallows melted into the coffee then topped with even more toasted marshmallows and graham cracker crumbs.
This recipe makes enough for one drink. However if you do have a date for Valentine’s Day, it can easily be doubled for both of you to enjoy.
I think it’s a sign I’ve grown up when being single on Valentine’s Day doesn’t bother me anymore.
In fact, I use it as an excuse to buy myself something special, like the cute “you had me at coffee” mug I found.
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 toasted marshmallows + more for garnish
- 6-8 ounces brewed coffee
- Melted chocolate and graham cracker crumbs, for garnish
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk, chocolate, and sugar until the chocolate has melted.
- Whisk in the marshmallows until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and transfer to the bottom of a coffee mug.
- Add coffee to the mug and stir until combined with the chocolate mixture. Top with toasted marshmallows, drizzled chocolate, and graham cracker crumbs.