I knew as soon as I saw the mini creme eggs in Target, I wanted to use them to garnish cupcakes. So how does one make a Cadbury Creme Egg Cupcake? First, there has to be chocolate, no excuses. Chocolate cake, check. What about the middle? Fondant cream recipe, check. Frosting? Guess I’ll just mix some cream into a vanilla buttercream. Garnish, check. Let’s get started!
First you bake your cupcakes and cool completely. After making the fondant cream, I cut a hole out of each cupcake with a knife. First I filled each one with white cream, leaving some cream left in the bowl. Next, I colored the remaining cream yellow to represent the yolk. Next time, I’d skip the yellow. This was more of an experiment to see how well the color would turn out. Oh well, it made a cute picture at least, no?
The frosting was a little trickier to figure out. The cream itself already had powdered sugar, so I didn’t want to use the buttercream’s full amount. Mine is a pale yellow because I used food coloring, but if you use white cream, then your color will vary from mine.
I’m so destroying everyone’s diet at work :D
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces or 8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons fondant cream (reserved from the filling)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a muffin pan with 12 liners. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and oil until smooth. Add in the egg whites, one at a time, until smooth. Beat in vanilla and melted chocolate. Alternately beat in the flour mixture and buttermilk, starting and ending with flour.
- Fill each liner with the batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
For the cream
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the corn syrup and butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar. Reserve 2 Tbsp for the frosting.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, cut a hole out of the middle of each one. Be careful you don't cut too far down! Fill the center with the cream then cover it back up with the cake you cut out. You may not use all of the cream. If you want, color some of the cream yellow and place a little bit on top of the white cream for the yolk.
For the frosting
- Beat together the sugar, butter, fondant cream, and salt until creamy. Add the vanilla. Beat on high for a few more minutes or until light and fluffy. Pipe onto cupcakes, trying your best to cover the filling.
Source: Adapted from 125 Cupcake Recipes by Julie Hasson