I think buffalo chicken is one of those trends that will never die. I remember the first time I tried buffalo chicken dip. I was hooked. Soon I made mac and cheese and quesadillas. Of course there is your traditional buffalo chicken wings and buffalo chicken salad. I think if you can add hot sauce to chicken, it will be done. Now I’m making Buffalo Chicken Meatball Subs with Garlic Blue Cheese Sauce. It’s another easy weeknight dinner that can be ready in 30 minutes.
These buffalo chicken meatballs are easy to whip up. Just mix a few things with ground chicken, shape, bake, and eat! The first time I made these baked meatballs, I forgot the egg and used ranch dressing, making the mixture very creamy. Although they baked just fine, they spread a bit and had flat bottoms for meatballs. The second time I made them, I remembered the egg and used dry ranch seasoning mix. Much better! The mixture is still a bit on the wet side, but you can guarantee they won’t be dry after baking!
Instead of marinara sauce for traditional meatball subs, I topped mine with garlic blue cheese sauce. If you are not a fan of blue cheese, feel free to use ranch dressing instead. For those of you who don’t know what buffalo chicken is, the idea originated in Buffalo, NY where chicken wings were tossed in hot sauce. There is no actual buffalo involved.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1/2 pound ground chicken, thawed
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons dry ranch mix
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking tray with foil or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, breadcrumbs, ranch mix, onion, garlic, hot sauce and egg until well mixed. Roll into 12 meatballs and place on the tray. Bake 20 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
- While the meatballs are baking, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook until the garlic starts to brown. Whisk in the flour until a paste forms. Slowly whisk in the milk until everything is smooth. Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes or until thickened. Add the blue cheese and whisk until melted. Remove from the heat.
- Depending on the size of the sandwich rolls, add about 3 or 4 meatballs per sandwich. Top with blue cheese sauce.
© Chocolate Moosey. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish a recipe, please rewrite it in your own words or link back to the post for the recipe.
If you enjoyed these Buffalo Chicken Meatball Subs with Garlic Blue Cheese Sauce, you may also enjoy these recipes:
From other bloggers: